KC Levees: Providing Protection for $20 Billion in Industry
There are seven distinct levee districts that run along the Kansas and Missouri Rivers. Over 60 miles of levees and levee walls protect the lives and the investments in these levee districts. The adequacy and the structural integrity of these levees are of paramount concern to businesses and KCIC members located near the rivers.
Kansas Cities Seven Levees Facts
- Seven levee units covering 60 miles of levees and floodwalls in both Kansas and Missouri in the Kansas City metro area.
- Protects more than 94,000 jobs, 5,000 structures and $20B in investment from major flood event or levee breach.
- The seven levees are: Argentine, Armourdale, Fairfax, North Kansas City, East Bottoms, Historic West Bottoms, Birmingham
- $413.8 million is needed to update all seven levees
- The levees protecting the Historic West Bottoms and Armourdale are in the most need of repair. These are also the levees that protect the most business investment.
Recently, KCIC hosted an educational workshop “Levee 101,” with speakers from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the KCMO Water Services department and the Missouri-Arkansas River Coalition (MoARC). Each speaker’s PowerPoint presentation is listed below.